Monday, February 10, 2014

Day 8 - Monday, Back to Work

This morning I was up a bit late so needed a breakfast to go. I just had waffles with peanut butter.  I should probably try to cut out nuts since I am trying to lose weight but I don't have them too often. I'll see how my weight is next time I get on the scale (Wednesday morning) and if no movement there I'll try cutting those out.

I was working in La Jolla today, in San Diego. The site is right next to a Whole Foods so I stopped there and got a salad and some cut up strawberries and pineapple for lunch, and had one piece of the Engine 2 crispbreads for a snack.

Dinner was leftovers. I had some of the BBQ black-eye peas, a few kabobs from last night and baked potato.

I did do day 2 of Insanity. I dislike day 2 because power jumps are hard and I'm not good at any type of push-ups right now, nevermind doing V ones! I'll keep going...

The other day I shared an excerpt from Salt, Sugar, Fat. Today I would just like to share a few things that stood out to me from The China Study:

The book goes into great detail about different ailments people suffer from, die from including two of the biggest - cancer and heart disease - and how diet relates. That is really what this book is about. He goes over not just the China Study, but numerous studies that have found similar information. Besides those two diseases he talks about others including osteoporosis, diabetes, Alzheimers, eye problems, multiple sclerosis. Diet can not just prevent, but also reverse some of these issues. 
--He speaks about how the rates we die from cancer are among the highest in the world
--"Only a tiny minority of cancers can be solely blamed on genes" pg 159.  The book also explains that we may be more susceptible to certain diseases due to genes but the food we eat is what either keeps it at bay or manifests it.
--A diet high in fat and refined carbs lowers the age of menarche, raises the age of menopause, increases female hormone levels and increases blood cholesterol levels. These four things all increase the risk of breast cancer.  "The risk of breast cancer is preventable if we eat foods that will keep estrogen levels under control" pg 160-161
--The author mentions several studies that show children who are genetically susceptible to Type 1 Diabetes who are weaned from the breast too early and given cows milk instead are at high risk for Type 1 Diabetes. He shows the association of cow's milk consumption and incidence of Type 1 Diabetes, showing the "greater the consumption of cow's milk, the greater the prevalence of Type 1 diabetes." pg 190


Obviously there is so much more information (it is almost a 370 pg book). I really recommend it to provide some great information and background on why a low-fat plant-based diet is so important for our health.  

#E2Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment