Friday, February 21, 2014

Day 19 - Exhausted!

I had to leave the hotel at 4:30am for my 6:15 flight. I didn't eat until my layover in Denver. I was feeling pretty tired of having oatmeal every morning so went around to a few different restaurants to see if there was anything else I could have. I sat down at one that had potatoes, black beans, peppers, salsa in different menus on the item so I asked if they could make something like that with no egg or oil. This is one of the first times I was told no regarding the no oil. She said they don't have vegetable broth only beef or chicken so they would have to cook it in that, butter or oil. I asked about sauteing in water but no.  I felt a little angry- I think it was the exhaustion and having a long day of travel. I thought how can they not do that. I ordered Muesli instead but then kept thinking about it and really didn't want oats again, so I canceled the order and left.
The next restaurant I asked before I sat down and they said they could do it! They boiled some potato and I had spinach and artichokes with it. It was a really nice change. I had a 3.5 hour layover so I did have a coffee there.
On the plane ride, I was lucky and got upgraded to 1st class for both flights! I was very happy about that. They give you snacks, the first flight was a scone so I didn't take that. The next flight, the options are chips, cookies, chocolate and a banana. I chose the banana.  I was still very hungry though and limited choices on the plane. I wasn't smart and I packed my Engine2 crispbreads in my large bag instead of bookbag (remember my exhaustion). Best thing I could find was whole wheat crackers with hummus to purchase. The hummus had no oil! The crackers had whole wheat in the ingredients list. There was some oil in them though so not perfect. 
After finally getting home about 1:30 I had lunch.  I ordered some rice with tofu and vegetables from Saffron in the San Diego airport again. I said no oil, which I get there often and the cashier said ok, as well as the manager who was right there, but when I brought it home and ate it, the container did feel oily so I am not sure.
I've been gone all week so my refrigerator is empty right now! For dinner I just cooked up some whole wheat pasta with spices and tomato sauce. I have to get fresh vegetables tomorrow. No exercise today, was too tired.
The taxi ride home, the driver asked me what I do for work. I said clinical research and that got into a talk about health insurance which he then started speaking about how people eat so unhealthily. So I let him know how my diet is. He did ask me where I get my protein. I answered and I let him know about the China Study, Forks over Knives and Engine2Diet. He was really interested, before I left he asked me the name of the documentary again and said he'd find it online. It's funny how often this topic keeps coming up now. Not surprising when I am out to eat with people since they see it and it might come up but this time was just in the cab.
Sunrise from first flight:


Leaving Denver


Hello San Diego!

#E2Challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment